Wednesday 12 January 2011

Head Spin

Hello and welcome to my blog. It's been a long time coming - something I'd promised myself I'd get round to doing but never did - 'til now. Yay! My head is spinning with where to start...

...I've been avidly reading other blogs from kindred spirits who are trying to live a simpler, greener (whatever that means) lifestyle and tried to apply myself to changing the way I live, bit by bit.

I couple of tears (years) ago I managed to get hold of an allotment. Yes, incredible though that sounds I managed it. Weeks of badgering the association chairman led to the aquisition of a plot, well, more of a weedy field really that nobody wanted to tackle but a plot of land nevertheless. It looked like this...




Fired up with naive enthusiam and over estimating my energy levels I went at it like a man possessed in a hair shirt until a year later it looked like this...



Then this in July 2009...



There was a crappy strip of land that even the grass struggled to occupy so in went some apple, pear and plum trees and bingo! my very own orchard. But I wasn't happy with that, oh no. I stumbled on Lucy's inspiring blog http://www.smallestsmallholding.com/ and found a bit about keeping chickens. So now I've got chooks patrolling the orchard too - even some new born chicks. More about that later.



I'm a year behind with all this so please forgive the less than topical first post. I'll add the history bits in as I go, just trying to cram as much as poss in the first post...



Now I've re-discovered fishing in all it's guises. I don't know why I ever drifted away from it. But I only go fishing for fish I can put on my plate whether that's a juicy Rainbow Trout or a beautiful oily Mackerel, I don't care as long as I can eat it.



So look in once in a while and watch me fumble my way around a healthier, sustainable lifestyle growing veg, keeping chooks and losing fish.

2 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What an incredible transformation on the allotment, it really does speak volumes, as to how much work went into the project.
Awesome !
~Jo

sarah toa said...

Very cool. I like free food.